Thread: 3/8 Mile Gearing?

3/8 Mile Gearing?

New to this sport and not sure what gear set I should run for a 3/8 mile track with mild banking. Running an oil-cooled Suzuki GSXR 1127. Rear-end is a 10 bolt Toyota and a 390 gear set is in now. I recieved a 358 and 341 along with the car. Any input would be great.

The 358 should work good in second gear if the 390 is bogging down in third gear.

If it is a short 3/8 358 in second. depending on tire size. I would say start with the 358. We also run a track that they call a 3/8 it is closer to a 1/2. 390 in 3rd there.

How do I interpret the gear ratio charts? I understand changing the rear-end ratio will decide the overall ratio, but what information does this value give me? Are there any type of calculations I can use to determine how far the car will pull before hitting the rev limiter? Thanks for the help.

The chart is a basic set up info. It gives you a starting point. I will ive you an example of what I did. We run a track that is big. So I was running my 373 in 4th. It was doggy getting off the corner. So I went to the gear chart, and found a tranny/rear gear combo that was a little shorter. I could have went with a 341 in third. But for my motor the 390 in 4th was a better ratio. It's just really for your motor and driving style. Try the 358 find the final gear, if it is doggy or short. Find a final ratio that is closer to what you need.