Thread: Anyone converted their dwarf car to a sandrail?

Anyone converted their dwarf car to a sandrail?

if anyone has i got a couple questions

Re: Anyone converted their dwarf car to a sandrail?

I believe this is Jimmy Ewings, I see him alot at the dunes.

Check out MiniBuggy.net

thanks

i would have loved to have that when i was in glamis a few days ago.lol

I would love to see that in person! in the photo's what was done to modify making it mid-engine? I see on the rear it did have a restraint strap to keep the rear from over extending the shocks and looked independent

a little bit more of travel and wider wheel base and "Watch our Baja...here we come!"

Quote Originally Posted by X Army MP View Post
    if anyone has i got a couple questions
    Hey I have a dwarf car that I converted to a sand rail. I can help answer any questions you might have.
    I do have a complete build page on Minibuggy . Net

Here is a few pics

Here is one from last month before I painted it

It's been 3 years in the making and I have to finish tuning the shocks and do some testing. Should be great in the dunes.

14 inches of front travel and 12 in the rear.

That is awesome. How is the balance over jumps with the engine still in the front?

And I should start a new thread for farts and giggles in "Has anyone ever converted their modlite or dwarfcar into a farm tractor?"

Quote Originally Posted by eweracing View Post
    That is awesome. How is the balance over jumps with the engine still in the front?

And I should start a new thread for farts and giggles in "Has anyone ever converted their modlite or dwarfcar into a farm tractor?"
    ****ADMINS>>> this is only a info post and I'm not attempting to draw members away to any other site. Just want to show what others have done with there dwarf cars besides go in circles***

Well here is some of the videos and info I have found on the Internet.
    So I have not tested my car and well with a 42% front and a 58% rear weight. It would jump great.
    (That's with a front motor just like most all dwarf cars)

So with a rear mount motor I would guess it wouldn't jump all that great BUT the rear end would be chain be faster on take off speed and awesome. (As you know it takes a few mph with a direct drive to get going)

I will have video of my car soon and will keep you posted.

So you want to know how it jumps. Ok well here is another car (I don't know who owns it but)
    It looks like it flys great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2e5gznpjBs

Here is another angle of the same car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NThsBByWEw4

Ok well while I'm at it. Have you ever seen a dwarf car turned into a 4X4????
    Ahhhh well all you need is a Suzuki samurai axles and transfer case and some swampers and ka chow!
    Read it on this link.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuk...zuk-parts.html

So here a pic of my car I just found from a recent car show.

Hey I hope this helps and from the videos and links I found(which well there is maybe 10 dwarf cars converted to a sand rail that I know of). There really is not any info on a how to or a here is what you should do. Yeah I have a build thread on Minibuggy but it has taken me 3 years of messing around and waiting on pay checks to get my car done.
    It's the 3rd front suspension and 2 set of rear tires and little to no testing because I keep doing more and more. Well I'm done and need some chair time. So with in a month I will post 10 to 15 videos of how it jumps and takes the whoops.

Any questions just let me know.

What kind of shocks were used? I'm building a dune buggy from my dwarf car as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristanplatt View Post
    What kind of shocks were used? I'm building a dune buggy from my dwarf car as well.
    Fox 2.0 coil overs. The Air shocks from fox are finicky to adjust. Coil overs are more expensive (with springs) since the rear has 10 in shocks with dual coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikin1974 View Post
    Fox 2.0 coil overs. The Air shocks from fox are finicky to adjust. Coil overs are more expensive (with springs) since the rear has 10 in shocks with dual coils.
    -thanks! I'm doing this for my senior project and have little knowledge of the suspension needed to shred the dunes. Anyou advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Tristanplatt View Post
    -thanks! I'm doing this for my senior project and have little knowledge of the suspension needed to shred the dunes. Anyou advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

Yeah study "Ackerman" for the front suspension. It will help a lot and make sure your doing it 1 time vs making the suspension multiple times... that's what happened to me. Costly mistake.

Also make sure that when you build any suspension mounts. Consider this. Could you lift the car 10 feet in the air and drop it... would it drive away or handle that drop a few times. This will help you when you finally take it out to the sand dunes. Yeah I broke mine with in a few minutes of a 4 day trip.

Also... very important.... with the stock steering rack. Make sure you place the steering link close to the spindle. Turning is important and well you'll need it when going slow. Drifting to turn while driving slow really pisses off track personnel.

I'm not trying to poach you to another site... but on Minibuggy (dot) .net I have a huge build page with my car. Has a lot of trial and error with my car.
    Plus it has track video of me jumping it at a track.

Also on YouTube. Type in the search bar "chikin1974"
    Have a few videos on there too.