Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National set of rules

National set of rules

As a Dedicated driver/owner/builder(with help from my friends) of Dwarfs(classics) for the last 6 years i find it frustrating that we get little to no exposure in any form of motorsports publications. While Legends get all kinds of exposure, now I know that Legends have had big money behind them from the start and they are a spec class but I think one, if not the biggest reason that Legends have grown so much and get more exposure is that they have a consistant set of rules nationwide. The same could be said for IMCA. I know that 2/3rds of the country bases their rules on TUSA and the other third is based on WSDCA and there are many differances, just looking for some input from fellow racers if there is any support out there for a nationalized set of rules?

modlitestars.org

I would love to see one set of rules. However I run asphalt and most on here run dirt so I am not sure that the one set of rules would work on both surfaces. This was my first year so I may be wrong. Also I am moving to Indiana in May or June and if I want to run with the Midwest Classic guys it appears that I will have to sink some money in my car or get out of dwarfs and race something else. If we had one of rules I could go right up there and race.

In my opinion, the biggest part of the rules not being standardized is "bullheadedness" as far as rules being different between pavement and dirt, when i first started in "dwarf cars" 16 years ago, we ran both pavement and dirt under the same major rules, it worked quite well. In general the rules are the same in the 2 main organizations. There is aat least one person that comes on this board that would like to majorly change the rules, and basicly just to fit his car. Other wise if you print out the rules from both orgabizations you'll see it's pretty close fit, for the dwarfs(classics) the mod lites i have not looked that close at them.

There are some things like PC that seem to be an issue from one area to another. Also we run 13x8 slicks and everywhere else I see runs treaded tires. Also window nets. Some require none some require one and yet some others require two. I actually sent an email to the midwest classic rule techs asking for some rule clarifications just today. I want to see if it is worth while to make the changes to my car or sell it and race another class.

Clay, did you know there is a club that races asphalt in norterh Illinios? Similar rules to MCR, great pay for the entire field, not just the winners, plus we are on a much more reasonable tire.

Only problem we have nation wide on the modlite rules is the engine rule. Once people understand we dont want $6000 motor in this division, the rest would be easy lol. Imca modlites sound good!!!!

I think modlite rules are pretty standard. Maybe I'm wrong but I recall the primary difference between TUSA and STARS is that you can groove/sipe tires in TUSA, but not STARS. maybe still some minor weight differences, but other than that I believe they are very close. It seems there are local clubs that have made further changes - same size tire all corners, stock motor only, etc, but it doesn't seem that difficult to go to a modlite track and be able to race.

I don't think these differences keep the cars from having more national publicity. It is about numbers and money. We are primarily hobby racers and weren't started by well funded backers (like Legends cars) and there aren't as many dwarfs/classics/modlites as there are full size modifieds and late models. If the numbers grow around the country more people will notice and the recognition will come. There are plenty of tracks that don't run IMCA but have good modified counts. They either run another rule package (USRA for example) or have their own track rules, but the mods get plenty of attention (at least in the midwest).

Re: National set of rules

can you send me how to contact this club I would love to maybe race some when I go see my kids if its close to them

The Short track auto racing series STARS 2013 sch. is up on their facebook and web site.

You guys calling for IMCA to step in are crazy. Going from helping a modlite to helping on an IMCA mod, I will forwarn you that IMCA taking over would take all of the fun out of racing. They are about what is doing best for their pocketbook not what is best for you the racer both on a financial level and sometimes even on a safety level. The Stars and TUSA rules are alot more relaxed than what you will see if you were to get IMCA to step in.

i could write a 5 page argument on this if you want

And I could do the same as to why you would not want IMCA in the picture. Give me some pros as to why IMCA would be good for the sport and how those pros could not be met by a different organization?

Modlites would go from the focus of the organization to the pee-ons of a large company. Any class in IMCA that is not Modifieds or Northern Sports mods are nearly frowned upon today. Even the Southern sport mods dont get recognition within IMCA. Granted if they would run you one night at SuperNationals that would be cool but I wouldnt see many guys showing up for a possible 500 to win night with a bunch of drunk idiots around especially when they would run you on a Monday or Tuesday night.

Being able to go to any sanctioned track and know what the rules will be before you show up. Insurance to from and during the races. Not having another racer/ competitor/ family member decide or tech rules. Being the focus of a group hasn't exactly stopped any of the problems that exist in mod lites. It is the same problems year in and out. Stars is doing a pretty good job but even they keep allowing different regions to change from a national set of rules.
    I could care less whether its stock only or built only, care less what tires and could care less on body styles. If I could race at any of 200 tracks in the country without even thinking about whether I would be legal it would be a tremendous boost to the class.
    Price a imca mod and a ump mod. There's about 7 k difference in cost.
    Look at car counts for imca late models and sport compacts. Pretty good counts for 1 day events at supernats. Big races like those are about prestige, not payout. Look at the chili bowl payout. Same deal

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    Pretty good counts for 1 day events at supernats.
    You mean the 30 or so Deery LMs that show up and FWDs? The one day guys arent bringing enough to offer for IMCA to care. That is why they are there limited time and that is why the sprint car class is gone. It is going to be tough to get guys to show up to SN when the big show in Canada is on the same week and will pay alot better. More prestige and more pay up north.

I dont think you will find a national set of rules in any class because you will always find Joe Blow who thinks his rules are better than somebody elses. It doesnt matter if IMCA, Stars, or the hobo down the street that makes the rules. The rules will be bent and someone will modify the book to fit their needs.