Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Velocity stacks

Buck here is some info:

Velocity Stacks work primarily by increasing the engine's dynamic compression - kind of like milling the cylinder head or slightly higher compression pistons over a range of desired rpm ranges. Increasing compression doesn't require big fuel changes.

Dynamic compression is different from cranking compression. Dynamic compression is essentially cranking compression + extra air that gets trapped in the combustion chamber as a result of proper intake tract (velocity stack) length, intake cam closing and also the effects of the exhaust systems in a RUNNING engine.

Can you get less dynamic compression than cranking compression under running conditions? Yes. If the resonant frequencies of the intake or exhaust systems are wrong, the systems can yank air back out of the combustion chamber before the intake valve closes (and you'd call that a "flat spot) Talk to Andy Kline about this one and he can help with a tuned exhaust

Lots more stuff you can read go to this link

http://books.google.com/books?id=wC2...rcycle&f=false

Donnie, I will not be the vice president next season, and if you believe half the sghit you just typed, you can kiss my ass too... You have my number Donnie...

Buck,, I believe sdwarf36 and Bryan answered your question.. The only thing these air systems do is "clean" up the air. The only way to make more power is to change bore & stroke along with compression..
    An engine is a big air pump, basically. Yes, you are making it easier to breath, but unless you change The bore, stroke and compression you"ll make no more than what was already there in a particular engine. Meaning that if you put it on a dyno with a stock box and you get say 150 horsepower. Ok, now change to a K&N in a stock air box and you get 152. That does mean that the air filter gave you 2 horsepower. No, those 2 horsepower were already there just the stock air filter restricted it that much.
    I don't know if you've ever messed with carburators on these things, but if you look at the carbs from the side while it's running you'll see a flume of fuel and air mixing together creating a "charge" so to speak. That charge is pulled into the engine. It can only pull in as much as the bore and stroke allow along with the duration of cam timing.
    Now,, velocity stacks are not new. They've been around along time.. Drag racers use them to "tune" carburated engines. By that, I mean they tune to where the power comes in at not at increasing the power they are making already..
    I believe what Monte and Shane have done is take that charge, found were it works best in the rpm range that we use and went with that length.
    You get a smoother torque curve cause the engine can breathe easier with the better filter. You gain some power, but that power was already there just restricted and you direct where that power is placed in the rpm range by the length off the tube. Yes, you can force more air and fuel into the motor, but that's not what that filter and stack do.

Kinda like racerdon said.. LOL

Mechanic44 that is stupid to think the only way to get torque or power is compression bore and stroke. So you need not to respond anymore thanks.

Donnie thanks hope your letter is not in the mail as well. All these post go to show that Greg does not know what the written rules nor care what they are. His teaching is on an per person situation. And you can all tell which side I am on and now Donnie as well

Mechanic44 that is stupid to think the only way to get torque or power is compression bore and stroke. So you need not to respond anymore thanks.

Donnie thanks hope your letter is not in the mail as well. All these post go to show that Greg does not know what the written rules nor care what they are. His teaching is on an per person situation. And you can all tell which side I am on and now Donnie as well

Monty calling on Monty I would consider you an expert on here on this situation. I have asked and will ask does your stacks alter the stock fuel induction in anyway. I ask and call you out on this because it is your product and you like to jump on my threads so you can answer I know you have read this question already.
    I take your no response as it does and you don't want to point that out due to sales.
    That or Brian told you not to respond like he likes to do on here the sheriff of this site.
    Well either way everyone knows you love to respond to all post so i will wait to see your response

Well,, No your stupid.. cause the only way to increase the volumetric effeciency on an engine that is stock is to force air into it and have enough exhaust flow to work.. These stacks don't do that. You didn't read very well what I said. So,, unless you put a turbo or supercharger on a "stock" motor you will get no more out of it than what the bore, stroke and compression allow it to do.
    You start messing with timing of the cams and all that good stuff. Then guess what? Then you are not stock anymore you have a spec motor. You can mess with the fuel mapping and all that good stuff and still what you have is what the stock bore, stroke, compression, and flow allow it to do. It can't flow anymore than what it does unless you charge it in some way.. Plain and simple.
    You ask on public forum and I replied.. sorry.
    Sorry, you did get the answer you wanted.

Your right I stopped reading at that comment

And in the altering of said induction. If the stock bore of the main intake "That's the throat where the injector is ." is not changed. Then no it doesn't. It's just a more effecient air cleaner.

Understand, I'm not trying to argue with you just answer your question...
    I'm not involved in the other mess..
    I guess I could comment on that too..
    From what I've read. They suspended you for the remainder of this year for whatever reason. There's always 2 sides to every story. I would tell you to talk to the owners of the tracks that ya'll race at, cause there is not a track owner or promoter out there that is happy with running a race with a low car count. Now, you'll still be suspended from the association, whatever. But, you'll be racing.
    I'm on the tech committee for the ADCRA and I'll tell you straight up that if we wanted to suspend someone for a length of time it due to what is going on there. It wouldn't hold up.. The track owner would tell you to come on and race. Unless you are drinking alcohol or involved in a fight or putting someones life in danger (drinking). You'd get 2 weeks for fighting and maybe a trip to jail and that would be the tracks doing. Wrecks and argueing are part of racing and the owners know that. We don't all get along. That's just the nature of things. If your car is legal, show up. I'd bet you'd get to race

So if the throat you call it is changed then it would be altering the fuel induction in your words.
    So the new zx10 with injectors above the velocity stacks the throat would be the velocity stack I would guess and changing it would alter the fuel induction

Mechanic, he has tried that, and the promoter will not allow him to race either, what does that tell you... Buck I'm sure you enjoy living in your little world, it must suck sometimes that the population is only 1....

NO its 2. Dont forget Uncle Doc. I am done on this post also.

Sheriff OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

velocity stacks-air cleaners-air box

i know this may sound crazy and it may be the way the ntsrs goes for 2013.after reading all the post on here about this subject and talking to a few of our guys.what we are thinking is stock 1000 engine with any air box-cleaner are air filter you want just have to run stock rubber velocity stacks that came with that engine.just my 2 cents
    sebie davis
    here are answer to questions asked
    no just stock rubber velocity stacks and i think 2013 is soon enough we only have 2 or 3 races left
    as of right now this is just for the ntsrs weekly shows but i think it needs to be for the big races as well.
    im sure the mfg can still sell plenty of the after market systems will just have to make were stock rubber velcity stacks will work.
    we all need to remember this is just a hobby and it should be fun win-lose-are draw.
    we all need to try a little harder to get on the same page and make this sport as big as it should be and can be.
    after reading some of the post on this some were saying the velocity stacks didnt matter it was just the bettter air cleaners that they liked.
    if that is true then this could be the answer to make everybody happy.WOUNDNT THAT BE THE DAY
    thanks sebie davis