Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Velocity stacks

Ok so my question is, where does stock stop and start with the "stock Induction"?
    You guys are preaching of changing the stock curve with the velocity stacks, but what happens if someone removes their stock velocity stacks/ rubber boots and just runs those K&N filters that slip over the throttlebodies?
    Are they not changing the torque curve as well and therefore just as illegal as the high dollar velocity stack systems?
    I know the arguement is that they are harming themselves in the power/ torque department, but is that not a tuning choice just like the velocity stacks? Would some of us like to kick out 5hp when we are looking at a dry slick racetrack?
    Adding or subtracting from stock in my mind is just as illegal because they are both modifying stock.

My personal opinion is when the rules say stock induction, aftermarket filter assemblies allowed that means that stock induction starts at the cast aluminum of the top of the throttle bodies. Short of ram air or turbo systems, if someone wants to have 24 karat gold plated stacks 3 foot long sticking off the top of his motor then have at it.

Good point TB1545. For years guys have just stuck 4 K&N filters on top of the throttle bodies. So what about that?? Problem is they now think there is a big advantage with the air box. I like my new air box mostly because the air coming in now is always clean. The foam setup I used before did not filter good. After a long night of dry slick racing you could take it off and dust would be everywhere. Not with the new one. Yall need to remember that all sports include a mental factor. We are always playing some sort of head game with each other. What if we dyno and it shows 5 less HP? That is the whole reason I bought the cheated ECU and then ran it on the dyno. I know the results would not be what everyone said. This is not my first year doing this. I have built the so called Houston ZX12 when we ran TUSA and I know what it takes to make HP. I just think you guys keep getting on all this little stuff and making a big deal out of it. I have said before. Bore, Stroke and Compression. Thats what we should check and be the most worried with.

Bryan H

So back to the question does the velocity stacks alter the stock fuel induction.
    Simple yes and no would be OK I know everyone has an opinion that's right

Quote Originally Posted by 6565 View Post
    So back to the question does the velocity stacks alter the stock fuel induction.
    Simple yes and no would be OK I know everyone has an opinion that's right
    To answer your question-and using your wording, no-it does not. 5 or 6 sensors dictated how much fuel is INJECTED into the engine. The airbox or stacks do not.

And will you please describe the "fuel induction" system you are speaking of?

That is all it says not much I can elaborate on. My thoughts were the induction of fuel would mean how it was introduced to the engine meaning air mixture location injection method so forth. Not sure though I have never worked on engines and have only even taken my valve cover off once in four years for tech. I would assume that if you are trying to keep motors stock that changing the stacks for a performance benefit would be illegal since on there post they state they change the stacks to change air mixture to create torque.

Monty I am still waiting on your reply since you are always on here I figured you could answer this question with some knowledge to back it up for us.

I am no expert, but I could not feel a difference in my car with a different air cleaner on it... I have ran the double K&N style, ITG, stock, and velocity stacks... I have won races with all four and could not tell you that one or the other knock a tenth of a second of any lap... Buck, you do not run a stock air box, so why are you wanting to make your air cleaner illegal...

So you are telling me that the MC filter runs stock velocity stacks in it. All the pictures I have seen show aluminum stacks and my stock ones were not aluminum maybe the texana and stars tech man does not know the difference the question is not the filtration of air it is that they are changing height and diameter of the stacks to change air ratio to fuel.
    Greg maybe you should read more and talk less get a set of rules that would be a good starting place. My it filter does not have after market stacks like yours.

Maybe I was unclear before let me clear it up for Greg and brian my question is not about the air cleaner itself. It is about changing the air flow to the throttlbodies through after market velocity stacks which unless I read wrong MC has spent numerous hours and test to get a size that will change it to get an advantage on torque. In the case of the newer motors like I believe Greg you have with duel injectors it is like the throttle body basically. So can I change my throttle bodies as well.

Greg you can not set up a car so I would not expect you to feel the difference or for it to be an advantage to you.

I do understand your question. Its one of the little things I talked about. I would not worry with that. We could go back to stock air boxes and then someone would bring up synthetic motor oil and rear end grease. It cost alot more and they say its alot better. Oh hell lets make everyone run Walmart 10/30 tooooooooo.

BH

Buck, stock is stock... It is either stock airboxes or aftermarket airboxes... We both run aftermarket airboxes, which is what the rule states... I have not moved or changes the location of any of my injectors, proves again that you really don't know what your talking about... Your right, I can't drive or set up a car, but out of around 20 races we have been on the track together, I have finished in front of you about 75 percent of the time, and FYI, all the ass whippings I gave you last year was with a stock airbox... Now that we know I'm slow and can't set up a car, where does that put you...

Quote Originally Posted by godspeed 20 View Post
    Buck, stock is stock... It is either stock airboxes or aftermarket airboxes... We both run aftermarket airboxes, which is what the rule states... I have not moved or changes the location of any of my injectors, proves again that you really don't know what your talking about... Your right, I can't drive or set up a car, but out of around 20 races we have been on the track together, I have finished in front of you about 75 percent of the time, and FYI, all the ass whippings I gave you last year was with a stock airbox... Now that we know I'm slow and can't set up a car, where does that put you...
    Goes to show you can't do math as well Greg the four races you beat me last year were the only one's out of the twenty not seventy five percent maybe I can explain this for you Greg the aluminum tube below your top injector that the injection shoots into not the filter is my question. Its amazing that someone that can be so ignorant is the tech man

Bryan I wish you wrote the rules and teched o understand those three rules I could change my cans to get the torque with those riles and be legal I vote you as tech to replace greg

you guys confuse the sh*t out of me

I could be wrong here to then, we have raced four feature races together this year, at each track we were required to tech our cars, i spanked your ass then too, your memory is as bad as everything else about you... your breather allows more air in than a stock breather does, right or wrong?

5 races this year
    3 I crashed out
    2 wins for me
    0 wins for you
    3 times I beat you
    1 time you broke which was one of my crashes and I still beat you

So this is this year with me having a new 20000 dollar car as well as you do except I changed chassis and you have the same one you beat me with four times the year before. And to go back further I don't remember yo ever beating me unless I crashed. IV been racing four years and you eight to ten.

You know now I can see why you are so mad at me and think I have been cheating. I would have banned me too to move up one spot.

Cool it Guys

Buck/Greg, yall are both good racers with the best of equipment and both have a good porfolio...yall need to stop the pissing match on you did and he did and so on.

Greg you are the VP of our club and getting caught up in this type of stuff should be below you.

Buck what they did to you is wrong: (1) Shane Clements spun in front of you and even Bryan Henry would not have been able to avoid hitting him. (Unavoidable)
    (2) You made an aggessive move to try and get under Greg and he turned down and you was there and I know he didnt see you and that caused damage to your car and cost him a place or two. (bad decision) (3) Greg should have never went over and yelled and screamed at you afterwards, waited and discussed in a more rational manner and Buck should have just blew you off and talked later about it in a committe style meeting (two wrongs dont make a right) (4) There have been worse incidents at the tracks that have gotten washed under the bridge or overlooked. (call me and we can discuss these both of you have my number)

Finally, there should have been a vote on banning Buck since this is a club and not a "Dictatorship"....sort of like an OBAMA thing.

Donnie Hunt