Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on shock's used at winternationals

Question on shock's used at winternationals

I was informed that 3 cars at eastbay had the "right shocks" on their cars, meaning the part numbers were correct per the rules. But at the same time these shocks had bleeders or something like a bleeder to change pressures or what ever this does. The rules state from tusa rules "f. Shocks must be of all-steel construction, non-adjustable type. May not be
    of a type that allows dis assembly . I was wondering if anybody was aware of these shocks and if they would be considered "stock non adjustable" or adjustable. I was told the tech guys said this was a "GRAY AREA" in the rules and wondered if anyone has info on this subject. If a car won on these type of shock's that seem to be adjustable can anyone run them or modify them to our liking? As i stated i was not there so i don't know what people had for shocks, but i would like some positive info on this subject from somebody who was their and seen what kind of shocks these were, and what modifications were done to them, if any. Thank you for your input, i believe a clear ruling would help everyone understand the rules more clearly.

Gray Area

I have heard this "gray area" term a few times im my racing career, so I looked it up... It means that someone did not have the balls to pull the trigger, the rules are black and white...

Quote Originally Posted by meadows View Post
    I was informed that 3 cars at eastbay had the "right shocks" on their cars, meaning the part numbers were correct per the rules. But at the same time these shocks had bleeders or something like a bleeder to change pressures or what ever this does. The rules state from tusa rules "f. Shocks must be of all-steel construction, non-adjustable type. May not be
    of a type that allows dis assembly . I was wondering if anybody was aware of these shocks and if they would be considered "stock non adjustable" or adjustable. I was told the tech guys said this was a "GRAY AREA" in the rules and wondered if anyone has info on this subject. If a car won on these type of shock's that seem to be adjustable can anyone run them or modify them to our liking? As i stated i was not there so i don't know what people had for shocks, but i would like some positive info on this subject from somebody who was their and seen what kind of shocks these were, and what modifications were done to them, if any. Thank you for your input, i believe a clear ruling would help everyone understand the rules more clearly.
    these are called schrader valves and from my understanding they are not legal (allows you to change the gas pressure in the shock, hints adjustable) if they are legal i would love a verification so i can have mine built to match! this is a huge tuning help if you know how to use them.

From the T-Usa rules. f. Shocks must be of all-steel construction, non-adjustable type. May not be
    of a type that allows disassembly

I'm trying to understand wv two. What is your point? A schrader valve means they are adjustable!
    Did you win on these shocks wv two?

It could not be because they repair the shock after a bending ?? When i worked on a dirt sportsman, many guys made it to save money. After replacing the bent parts, the shock have to be refilled !!!

Corbin,I believe all wv two was doing was telling exactly what the rules were according to TUSA. Atleast thats the way I took it but then I have talked to Bob quite a bit in the past.
    BTW, he didnt run this race either.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    It could not be because they repair the shock after a bending ?? When i worked on a dirt sportsman, many guys made it to save money. After replacing the bent parts, the shock have to be refilled !!!
    May not be

Quote Originally Posted by canuck1 View Post
    May not be
    All Bilstein shocks can be disassembled and rebuilt.

Well, does anyone from TUSA have an answer? Would like to know for the future what we can do with a shock. Who were the tech people at the winternationals? Do you guys have an answer????????????????? I think this topic needs to be addressed before it gets out of hand.

RhynoRaceCars
    Standard valvings from the factory and custom valvings reset in rebound and compression by a shock builder are legal. However, having a valve or adjustment feature on the shock to make adjustments inside the cockpit and/or outside the race car is ILLEGAL.

That is not how the rule reads. That is your very loose interpertation of the rule. Non adjustable means non adjustable either from inside or outside of the car.

RhynoRaceCars
    And a Bilstein that comes from the factory has to be repairable...How? By a shock builder/repairer taking it apart. Bilsteins are legal. As long as you can't change valvings at the track it is legal....a valve or dial is not legal.

Most all the front runners are on custom shocks I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by meadows View Post
    Well, does anyone from TUSA have an answer? Would like to know for the future what we can do with a shock. Who were the tech people at the winternationals? Do you guys have an answer????????????????? I think this topic needs to be addressed before it gets out of hand.

One of the problems I have found since getting into mod lites is getting a straight answer on almost every topic. There is no black and white.

With only 21 cars @ the nationals. Kind of hard to send anybody hm.( big problem)