Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire ownership / track surcharge for hold over.

Unhappy Tire ownership / track surcharge for hold over.

Hello all.

I would like to know if any other dwarf clubs / tracks have rules like this below for there dwarf divisions.

First a little back ground info.
    Two years ago we got a new track leaser / General manager. At that point we got two new tire rules.

1) Must buy tires from the track, Tire are branded.
    2) If you buy a tire and wish to use that tire the next season you must have the tire re-branded for a cost of $25.

Now let me say I'm fine with buying tires for the track, I'm even fine with paying a few dollars more then the cost of the tire. Tire we use cost $80 from the MFG but they say 50 or more cost can be lowered slightly. Track charges $100. Not happy with paying $20 extra but they say $10 goes to point fund and $10 to track improvements so okay I'll deal with it.

Number 2 has always gotten under my skin. It seems to me there double dipping in to my already thin tire budget. (what budget...) The tire we run has a great life and handles well it gives warning when your pushing it and once it does brake loose it can be caught and pulled back in. This tire has been in use for years around here and its not uncommon to see the LF run 2 year and 8-10 races out of the Right sides 10-12 out of the left sides we run 10-15 races a year so as you can see it easy to have a tire carry over if you bought it mid or late season.
    I feel the added cost of 25% to carry over a tire is just purely unreasonable amount. Add to that the money raised is supposed to go in to the points fund but it doesn't look like it did....

Anyone else race with a rule like this? We have are rules meeting early Dec.

Thanks
    44Dwarf

Sounds like a scam to me!

Never heard of such a rule.

Questions for you:

1. Where is this track located?
    2. Do they have a similiar rule for the other classes at the track?
    3. What is their typical payout for a race night for the dwarfs?

Fred

Sounds like someone is making some easy money, but at hard working racers pockets!
    I'd find a different track

Rule #1, I don't mind buying tires from the track, the track is closer than the supplier. The extra 20 bucks per tire is worth the delivery to the track. Also I try to support the racetrack anyway I can because without them we may not have a place to race...

Rule #2, I don't totally agree with the restamping ( which I believe is only $10.00 ). If you paid once why pay again?

I understand every racer has a budget, but so do racetrack owners, and without them we have no place to race...

Quote Originally Posted by fred schneider View Post
    Never heard of such a rule.

Questions for you:

1. Where is this track located?
    2. Do they have a similiar rule for the other classes at the track?
    3. What is their typical payout for a race night for the dwarfs?

Fred
    1) Dosn't matter where the track is. I want to know if anyone else has this type of rule.
    2) Most other classes are tires that make holding over last years tires like rideing on stones so with in one or two races there buying 4 tires.
    3) Typical pay out is $75-$100 for 1st car count dependant.

Forgot tires went up in 2011 to $110 up that right winnings do not even pay enough for a tire....

As for finding another track....well BTDT politics allway "f" it up and we end up crawling back.

I do not want this tread to turn in to a track bashing or GM bashing thread

The problem is the fact that this class does not get paid enough for the car count. This will be the main topic of conversation at the meeting. The second biggest class of cars should be getting the second biggest cash payout. Then, I would not care about the stamping fee or the $110 charge per tire.

Problem is all the above. Even if pay out goes up wich it has too we'll still be behind the 8 ball with this stamping fee.
    Yes this will be a hot subject at the rules meeting for sure.

upsguy00 I agree. The tracks need to respect the welter weight classes. We had a per race avg of 31 for a 21 race season. All but 2 times did we have less than any other class. And that was because it was an 2 day invitational race. A few times we had more cars than the other 3 classes put together. And still we get the short end of the stick. But after all, I don't race for the money. It would be nice to pay your costs though and break even.

It's a 4 hour haul for me....yup 210miles each way. I'm getting priced out of the racing market.

The problems with the re-stamping rule doesn't stop at just the stamping. It seems to be more of an honor system. I paid to have every tire on my car branded. We cut down tires in two separate crashes and re-stamped an old and bought a new one. As they were updating my inventory it was obvious that most cars were not stamping tires or only had 2 or 3 stamped. The restamping is $25 dollars 4th place on back pays $25. The new/old manager seemed very receptive to listen to our concerns. I tow nearly 3 hours and the cost is getting old. I know times are tough for tracks but lets just be fair about it. The only division that worked harder to build their own car counts was the Top Division. The stock 8 cyl class and the stock 4cly class struggled all year with car counts but the advertised purse remained nearly double ours. Like I said I just want it to be fair. Maybe they are overpaid as well as us being under paid. If you read the write ups all year the track loves it's fendered cars and we are just there. The new/old GM that is taking over is a dwarf car guy. I am hopeful for some change which is the only reason I'm returning.

"The restamping is $25 dollars 4th place on back pays $25." 4th back only pay $25 Holy crap. 4th in our group usually gets around $90. 30th place gets $30. Is your pay top heavy?

Goracer16, the tech officials should police there rules a little better. As far as the payout goes, I ran in one of those fendered cars last year and I know our payout was based off car count. More cars = better pay. Make sure your at the rules meeting I'm sure this will be a big topic....

The winner on a regular week paid $100 for 1-10 cars from what we could figure out, and $125 for over 11. The fourth place car never gets more than $25 on a weekly bases. We did have two special races that paid more but so did the other divisions and our more was still less. The purse for every other division is posted in the rules for that division. We all understand that if the cars don't show the purse goes down, every division covers that in the rules. I just feel with the cost of the tires and entry fees it should not be unreasonable for us to pay a little deeper. My own opinion is to stagger us somewhere between the super stocks and street stocks. Even if it's not much more at the top 4th to 20th needs to be addressed a little. Obviously have two payouts posted just like all the other divisions. We have had a few people interested in the division that walked away when they heard the payouts. A posted fair purse could help us become a solid 15 to 20 cars in the future. We don't have the luxury of filling our field with the next division down to put on a good show. Many of us have loaned out parts and lots of labor to keep the field above water. Us guys upfront will gripe about the pay but still show up. I't's the guys mid pack on back that will quickly decide to stay home when it's cloudy or the car isn't going as well as they want. Without everyone there the show suffers. 88 please look at the rules from all the divisions they are still posted.

I have read the rules for every division at the track, I also asked the GM of the track last year what the payout was for the Dwarfs after I bought my car and never got a reply.. I'm not disagreeing with you... I raced the cyclones last year and won 2 championships in that division ( regular & triple crown ) you probably don't want to know what that paid!!! But I look at racing as a hobby, it's fun and it's something I enjoy doing. I agree the purse should be posted just like every other division, and I think it should depend on car count... Again I'm not disagreeing with you in anyway and I do think there will be some changes this year.... Good or bad who knows.... We shall find out this weekend...