Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSDCA Rear end rules

cookem16 How much did you pay for the quickchange from phil hayes? anybody want a ten bolt?? Looks nice and clean and easy enough to make it work in the cars

You will have to check with Phil on pricing now. I bought mine back in December last year. I paid $2400 for a complete rearend with rotors. If you are currently running a phil hayes floater you can use your axles and hubs on the new quick change and save you some bucks. The price may even come down if he starts getting more orders. I basically sold all of my 10 bolt stuff and was able to pay for all of the new quick change...... bought 5 sets of used gears on ebay for $80 shipped. yes that is correct $80 for 5 gear sets shipped to my door a new gear set will cost you $65.....

D&R Chassis Comments on Quick Change Rear Ends

Quote Originally Posted by HM8425 View Post
    I believe the D&R cars are being built that way now.
    Phil is correct in his quote regarding our D&R Chassis cars/trucks are designed to accept the Floater Rear Ends or Quick Change Rear Ends. In the beginning of the year in the off season Phil Hayes sent me a sample quick change rear end so I could design my cars/trucks to accept either the floater rear end or quick change rear end. Prior to this my cars were only designed to accept the floater rear ends.

Shane Rosson
    www.drchassis.net
    www.rossonracing.com
    760 803-8702

Re: WSDCA Rear end rules

That is one slick setup couldn't ask for anything cleaner

The Ohio Valley Dwarf Car Association (OVDCA) voted this winter to allow quick changes as your choice for a rear end. The main reason was issues with finding quality used Toyota rear ends at a price that had closed the gap to the price of quick changes now available. This was mentioned in a few other posts so the problem finding the equipment must be widespread. I don't see anyone spending the money just to have a qc but wouldn't be surprised to see some replace broken or damaged equipment over the course of our upcoming season. I see no advantage to the rear end except the stronger tubing on the housing and possibly the advantage to replace a damaged housing or tube instead of trying to straighten a Toyota. We run on asphalt so a qc over the course of time may end up being a better investment.

Bottom line; the vote was for monetary reasons and availability of quality equipment and/or replacement parts.

dabossohio, thanks for the update. Please post any new thoughts as the season progresses. WSDCA voted down the quickchange for the 2013 season. Hopefully it will pass for the 2014 season. We will see. I have had zero problems with mine. The opportunity to change out axle tubes if one should get bent is huge. So now there really is no need to have a complete spare rearend, only components to the quickchange. I dont see destroying the center section..... Thanks for your post and keep us updated please.

Went to the scrap yards today, walked 5 found one car had a T-code third and was already gone. Looking on ebay $425 for an open third or offer. So where is the money savings of the toyota thirds? Been quoted $700 for a built third now.

Makes the expense of a Quick Change way more apealing. $1500 for floater minus third add the price per third (will average at say $600 per set and say have 5 gear ratios) $3000 now we are at $4500 for a floater with all 5 gears sets.

Quick change $2200 ish and (figure high) $100 per gear set for same 5 ratios. $2700. ALso as Cookem16 stated above the ability to relpace tubes is a nice option.

So if WSDCA is wanting to save racers money the Quick change is less expensive for the guy getting into racing and just starting. Have a rule that the only ratios allowed will be the stock toyota ratios. That way there will not be any percieved advantage of gearing. Also will not "force" guys with floaters to feel as though they have to switch over to quick changes.

Wondering why the clubs are holding out on allowing quick changes as the availability of S and T code thirds are getting more and more scarce.

I argued with the OVDCA 10 years ago to go to quick changes. At that time as a member we raced at tracks all over the state, all sizes, not just Shady Bowl, dirt and asphalt, on the same weekend. I have many fond memories of jacking the car up on uneven ground, dismantling the entire rear end with grease running down my arms, trying to hold a flashlight while lifting the pig into position. Oh what fun, why in the world would anybody give that up for a 15 minute job?

Colorado allows quick changes. No brainer.

my car has a quick change in it and is for sale

So I have been hearing rumors that WSDCA will NOT be going to QC again for the 2014 season. In fact I heard that it wasn't even going to be brought up for a vote. Can anyone elaborate on that any further. Is that true?? If so can anyone tell me what the big hang up is with allowing the QC. I'm tired of spending way too much for Toyota crap.......

Thanks