Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSDCA Rear end rules

WSDCA Rear end rules

With toyota rear ends getting harder and harder to find and the gear ratios that we want are so exspinsive, why can't we use quick change rear ends? To get a complete Floater rear end is around $1,500 without any gears, at $400-$500 for a spooled gear set it gets rediculus. Your looking at $3,000 invested in a rear end if you can find the gears that you want. You can buy a Winters Q/C for $1,700-$1,900 and all the gear ratios you want for $65 each. So why are we forced to use outdated hard to find car rear end?

Scrapiron,

This is a question I have had also. I have almost $2000 in our floater with only one gear ratio. I have been looking for other gear ratios and am looking at $200 to $500 per gear.

I was told that the main reason is cost. But with what we are now spending on the toyota stuff the expense is the same or more. Actually, looking at the price of the quick change gears the expense would be less over all to run a quick change.

There are at least 1 if not 2 rules that would have to change,rearend being centered within a half inch and full length lower frame rail 1 x 2 by 1/8 wall ,on most cars the right lower frame rail would contact the right bell flange on the QC .The other benifit is not nearly as many bent axle housings that make so many ill handling unpredictable dwarf cars.Conflict of interest is most likely the other problem.

My understanding is that the quickchange will not fit m&m or similar chassis without "cutting up the car". I dont know if this is true,but it seems to be the main reason quickchange never gets voted in at the annual meeting in reno.

The cutting of the car is on a "dumb" part of the chassis, not a "smart" part, ei suspension or suspension mounting area.

This has been brought up many times at a club level and always gets shot down. The rule where the the "Brake Rotor" needs to be with in 1/2 inch of the frame rail is a sensleless rule. We can run any offset wheel and any offset rotor, and offset the frame rail, so why does the rule exist? This is how they measure it, no matter how the rule is written. Evoulution of the sport warrents a real racing rear end like the quick change, and if we have to modify the chassis, we modify the chassis. Not everybody will have one the next season if the rule changes, but its a start. Its not a horsepower advantage to have one since it takes power to run it. You can dial your gears in near perfectly which is. Sounds like its a wash. I say we go to quick change.
    Randy

I'm not saying that it would be mandatory to run one just an option if you are tired of looking for the right Toyota gears.

We now have a solution to our Dwarf Car Quick Change rearend. Phil Hayes is making one for Dwarf Cars. His will fit into an M&M chassis without much fabrication (so Im told) Looks to me like he has machined the bells down on both sides which makes it work on the short side where it would have come into contact with the frame. Anyway contact Phil Hayes who is in Pahrump Nevada. He should be selling them by mid December.

Glad to hear someone is finally tackling the m&m,etc. quick change fitment issue. It seems inevitable that quick change be allowed across the board if rules are going to be consistent nationwide. I like the idea of initially allowing only the avail. toyota ratios to keep the playing field level for lower budget racers. If the fittment issues are handled then maybe wsdca members will join other organizations and vote to allow quick change.

It looks like the vra is going to allow q/c rearends for 2012 in the dwarfs and would guess the mod lites too.

Thought I would bring this thread back alive. I have been on a mission to try and get the Quick Change approved in WSDCA for the 2013 season. I have been running my Phil Hayes quick change for a few months now with VRA (Ventura Racing Association) and love it. I started a pretty good thread on Dwarfworld.com Please visit that site and read all of the responses. Some pretty good thoughts and opinions. Please let us hear your thoughts. This is a fight that will continue through the end of this year and will be of much discussion at the meeting in Reno. Please be respectful with your comments. Frank and Jan have left this thread going and has had many responses.

It would be nice if the car manufactures would make their new car so you could run the q/c if there could be a change in the rules or in the near future. I've asked our car builders and they say that it would be easy on ours.

I believe the D&R cars are being built that way now.

RMDCRA voted to allow QC in 2011, we have one car that is QC equipped that runs with us regularly.

I personally would rather have all the legal QC gear sets than two or three third members in my trailer when I go somewhere for the first time.
    Too bad I already own all the gear sets for my 8 bolt.
    I will definitely consider a QC if I change cars though. It's cheaper in the long run.

The point someone made about bent housings is a very valid point, all of these things are old.

Regarding phasing out the Toyotas, there will always be guys that can't afford the QC or don't need it because they don't travel. The Toyota is lighter and there is no real advantage to either setup other than the speed of a gear change or weight. Believe it or not there are still 8 and 10 bolts in daliy drivers around here.

I say legalize em, the sooner we buy them, the sooner the numbers will bring down the cost.
    one guy's opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	4713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QUICK CHANGE 1.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	4714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QUICK CHANGE 3.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	4715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QUICK CHANGE 4.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	4716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quick Change 6.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	4717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QUICK CHANGE 1.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	4714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QUICK CHANGE 2.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	4718Here are some of the pics of the Quick Change in my car.