Become a DCR Supporter | Read More | (2014 Bumper Stickers!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: v-twin or harley motor

v-twin or harley motor

has anybody ever put a v-twin motor or a motor like buell makes in a dwarfcar. if so how was the outcome. just a thought, i was watching pro-stock bikes drag race and they had a gsxr vs a harley motor and they were pretty close to each other at the finish line. that deep throaty sound is awsome.

It's been done, cost more and doesn't work as well in going in circles.
    Suzuki TL1000 have been done with Okay success.
    Jaxport made a factory hot rod harley powered.

The v-twins are down on power to the inline fours and weigh more. The harley would have cooling problems and where would you put the transmission? The HD would be a torque motor but just doesn't suffice in the HP department. THe work you would have to put into on to keep up with say a new GSXR 1000 motor it would be really unreliable and expensive. Where if you spent the same amount on a GSXR 1000 motor it would still be reliable and super fast. Plus the harleys are loud and leak alot. Hey why go fast when you can make a bunch of noise.

We had a guy put a "883" in a car. He built a "jack shft" to connect the motors trans to the driveshaft. He had the motor mounted 90% from how it would be in the bike. He had "special cams, rocker boxes and clutch" in it. It was good off the corner but nothing on straights on a 1/5 mile track and nothing anywhere on the bigger tracks. From what he told he had over $3000 in the motor not encluding the jack shaft, exhaust, carb, oil tank and the orginal motor.

I would think about the Apillias' or a Ducati, but I imagine that it would run into alot of money to make it work.

Remember all of ducati's wins they have gotten a cc advantage. Hd wanted to get a cc advantage and runn their 1500 cc motor aganist the japanese 1250 motors.

But Aprilia didn't!

Bottom Line a japanese inline four makes more power with less cost, so have fun go fast and turn left.

Ummm...Joe? Ever heard of a little-known German brand named after a region of their country?
    BMW kicks them all to the curb. Going to Miller for WSBK this weekend to see it?

WE HAD 2 BMW CARS RUN WITH US FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. THEY RAN THE MOTOR THAT IS NICK NAMED "THE BRICK" AT 1st THEY WERE NOT COMPETITIVE BUT AFTER A LOT OF WORK THEY WERE COMPETITIVE ON THE SHORT TRACK BUT NOT ON THE 1/3 MILES. HERE AGAIN THE JAPANESE 4'S WORK BETTER AND CHEAPER.

The new 1000 has about 30 hp on everyone.

Is that the "vertical" 4? I've never seen one, but been told they are really powerful. I'm wondering what they are going for?

Had a friend here in Kansas that built a 883 up back in the mid to late 90's{to the tune of about $10,000} It ran great but i could out run it with a stock ZX1100 with built up stock carbs.So they can run fast IF you wanna put 10 grand into one.

All I'm saying is if your on a budget and want to go fast there is nothing better than a metric 1000. And yes john I have heard of BMW, been in this business a long time to realize that there are more than one brand out there. My only thing is look at the majority and see what they are running. Look at modlites and what do you see? Look at Dwarf cars and what do you see? Look at the most popular motor in the world to build and what do you see? What has won more road races than any other motor or drag races in that matter. All I can say is its not BMW or a v twin. I do really respect there bikes and give them hats off to their new sport bike but again a kid is not going to buy a 15000 plus BMW when he can have a 10k 1000 and wreck it to give us all the motors we want. Supply and demand. Oh John is that whats in your new modlite?

Oh had a new BMW on the dyno here the other week and it ran well, 185hp. Not bad I don't know what a new 2011 GSXR is turning but its not 30 less HP last 2008 I ran on the dyno was 179hp and the last 2009 was better than that but I can't remember the exact figure. What you could spend getting one of those bmw motors you could put a 1070 motor or even a balanced and blue printed 1000 and still beat it. Just my 2 cents