Thread: Faster steering

Faster steering

I'm installing a power steering unit in my car because I recently injured my wrist. I had a quickener in the car but had to pull it out because it was sharing the realistate where to power steering unit was going. The only other way to put the quickener back in is to cut up a lot of the fire wall and brake pedal to make it work which I would rather not do. Does anyone make a quicker steering rack and anything else that would be helpful to me? Thanks

Re: Faster steering

We use a woodward rack without a quickener. It's plenty quick enough 1 and 1/4 turns lock to lock.

Do you have a picture of how it's mounted or specs. What about price?

If you're referring to the rack mount, it uses a three bolt mount. As for the price i don't know because i have not bought one in about fifteen years. They have a web site. We use their fastest rack

Depending on the rack manufactuer some use offset bearing housings for the pinion so you can adjust the lash but also change the number of teeth on the pinion. Find out what brand you have and call the MFG.

Unisteer makes electric power steering units for UTV and ATV's that can be adapted for use in a dwarf car. They have a universal package and you can add a connector or universal joint to it and have everything needed to actively install. Takes about 6-8 hours, less once you figure out where and how. I put mine inside just past the steering shaft carrier bearing with the motor turned upwards under the dash. Runs off the battery and if power fails it still will steer like normal. Will work on most anything up to 2500 lbs. Just be sure to follow the set up procedure to the letter to get an even assist turning in both directions. If not, it'll turn easier 1-way than the other.

"google" "woodward steering" they have many pages of data. Not only about their product but all steering. Like i said before we use their fastest one without a quickener and the driver that are not impaired don't fined it too heavy the drive. We even have a female that weighs less than 100 lbs. Driving one she says that it's the lightest shes driven.