Thread: oiling issue with 07 GSXR 1000

oiling issue with 07 GSXR 1000

I have installed 2 different 07-08 gsxr 1000 motors in a modlite with the stock guage cluster and both motors turn the oil light on at idle. is this normal or could it be oilpan/pick up combo or too big of oil cooler/lines?

Re: oiling issue with 07 GSXR 1000

normal when hot

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moriarty View Post
    normal when hot
    what about cold? both engines do it from start up on.

Same car with same wiring harness and same cluster gauge?

You may need to try a different sending unit sensor or the idle is a little low. Odds are it's pumping oil but the sensor is struggling a little. If it goes out when you give it a little gas things are okay. Might simply be the nature of the beast.

Unrelated but I own a John Deere tractor that always had a clutch and tranny light come on when at an idle. It was much quicker to come on when warm and idling. It drove my 80+ year old Dad nuts that something was wrong. Rev the motor to 1000 rpm's and the lights would go out. He couldn't stand it. After many seasons of him complaining we finally were in a position to ask a JD rep engineer about it. His answer was rev the motor up. lol. Apparently they included this note in the revised book on those model tractors due to so many inquiries. I was using that same tractor last night. Bought it new in 1978. Still a workhorse------still has the lights come on at idle.

We always run a mechanical gauge off the port down by the oil filter as a fail safe on top using the stock gauge. If this is on JRs nephew car i spoke with him tonight, im guessing the pickup is not correct for the cut pan. Suggested running stock pan/pickup on next motor to ensure there is no compatibility issues.

I appreciate all the help from everyone! I believe we have worse issues than the light going on with this particular car now, I am changing oil pan and cooler on next motor. thanks again for the help!

Now this didn't happen on a suzuki, it is some thing to beware of or at least look at when you are gettingand/or running a "cut pan". Measure the distance that oil pick up extends from the pan mating surface to the very end of the pick up. Then measue from the pans mating surface to the inside, bottom of the pan, where the pick up sits. Make sure that those two point are neither too close or too far of each other. I've seen that least five motors lost because of this problem. Also, on some motorsthere are oil "cross over pipes" that are hold in place by "studs" in the pan, that are different from one year to another, of the same make and model of motors. So, that too is some thing that can bite you.

Here is a good practice. When ever you change the oil.

1. Fill with oil, but do not tighten filter.
    2. Wind over on engine without starting it until oil comes out of the filter.
    3. Once you see oil pumping out at the filter, tighten the filter up.

This helps get the air pocket out of the system. There are several times they get air locked and will not pick up oil.

Bryan H
    Five 0 Racing