Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no dwarf car racing in Fla. for Speed Week!

Re: Why no dwarf car racing in Fla. for Speed Week!

No we was the only two dwarfs there. One of ours was getting smoked by the mod lites the other one we took was competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by clowe20 View Post
    No we was the only two dwarfs there. One of ours was getting smoked by the mod lites the other one we took was competitive.
    The question was; were you aware of any dwarf car races that were structured for dwarf cars during your trip and if yes, how many cars attended and where was it held???

Last edited by carl lovelace; 04-06-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabossohio View Post
    The question was; were you aware of any dwarf car races that were structured for dwarf cars during your trip and if yes, how many cars attended and where was it held???

If there was don't you think I would of said there was in the first post? No there wasn't hints why we ran with the mod lites

Quote Originally Posted by clowe20 View Post
    If there was don't you think I would of said there was in the first post? No there wasn't hints why we ran with the mod lites
    And this is what is making my point. Thank you.

I've watched the dwarf car class basically come unraveled over the last 7 years. This is frustrating as it has always been a favorite car to drive. Without class structure I can't see anything turning around. Speaking about asphalt racing which I have experience and knowledge, the class is doomed to be nothing but scattered clubs across the country. They'll be scrapping to find short tracks that'll let them run and their season will be nothing more than hit/miss. My comments are my personal opinion. The answers to questions and posts on this website show the bitter frustration that appears to be everywhere, not just in Ohio.

Years ago, I had a chance to pick my direction. Dwarf cars or Legends. A strong dwarf car club racing asphalt existed in my area and they had rooted in at a local track as their home. Financial and legal issues forced the owners to sell the track. Club President was diagnosed with cancer. Founding father and club officer was diagnosed with cancer and given less than a year to survive, leaving the club without leadership and no liaison to negotiate with new ownership. All these negatives within the course of a year. While a few tried to fill the large shoes vacated, the remaining club members wouldn't listen to the cries for help and instead became disrespectful and confrontational. The club disbanded quickly. I guess I'll use my car as a mailbox stand. At least that way it'll have purpose while the others probably have sold them for a song or have them in the corner of a room taking up space.

While the local agent for the Legends has sold their track and their 5-race schedule locally is no longer available, the class is flourishing due to the streamlined rules and national promotion of the class. Perhaps they need to travel some but the races are there and the cars are welcomed. They are waving at us with the international sign of love as they drive by us standing on the side of the road with our bags packed. Is it really independence or simply nomadic? The uncertainty of the class from season to season does not make this a cheap experience. The younger generation needs to quit drinking from the tit for free and get involved. 60+ year old guys can't continue to do all the work so they can show up and play.

I'm not writing this to brow beat the few that get on here and offer help or advice. The fact that you do anything is an indicator to me you probably are active in your local area to promote dwarf car racing. I'm trying to raise the level of awareness for our sport and ask all of you to champion for some guidance from a sanction and carve us out a piece of the racing pie. We need national leadership, sanctioning, and promotion. Without it, would you ever recommend a person buy a new dwarf car? Would you ever step out and buy all new yourself? Would you be willing to make equipment changes if the class had a future to offer you? If you answer "no" to any of these questions but would agree to do it if the class had a future, than you have already seen the need to organize our efforts.

As you might remember, "tusa" was going to"standarize" and be the "national club". Which, in my opinion, was a good thing that went bad, for a number of reasons. The west coast tried to organize under "wsdca". Did a pretty good job for a while, again in my opinion. But, as more clubs and states drivers came to their "nationals". The total number of cars diminished overall. At one point they had a one hundred cars come race. That hasn't happen since. Part of the problems come from the lack of standardize rules and builders that build with in them. Throgh the years there have changes in the cars that have improved to make the cars sport better, but there have others that were divisive. Another thig that hasn't helped is there has been a major series sponsor or a notable track to have the races at or a person or club to work it out these opertunities but hopefully there is someone out there, can and/or will step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCK View Post
    As you might remember, "tusa" was going to"standarize" and be the "national club". Which, in my opinion, was a good thing that went bad, for a number of reasons. The west coast tried to organize under "wsdca". Did a pretty good job for a while, again in my opinion. But, as more clubs and states drivers came to their "nationals". The total number of cars diminished overall. At one point they had a one hundred cars come race. That hasn't happen since. Part of the problems come from the lack of standardize rules and builders that build with in them. Throgh the years there have changes in the cars that have improved to make the cars sport better, but there have others that were divisive. Another thig that hasn't helped is there has been a major series sponsor or a notable track to have the races at or a person or club to work it out these opertunities but hopefully there is someone out there, can and/or will step forward.
    Thank you CHUCK.

While not quite as exciting; Instead of turning your dwarf car into a mailbox, you might look into SCCA programs (if you have any clubs in your area). Auto cross, or perhaps road racing (which at least would be heads up racing).
    Another option would be to make it street legal and have fun at the car shows and cruise nights. ???

Good points there, gentlemen!
    I'm selling my modlite because of all those issues. We had been running modlites and dwarfs together for years. Then, some crybabies decided our modlites had a huge aero advantage, and wanted to implement WSDCA rules, even though their cars didn't meet them, either. On top of that, some were caught softening tires, but no action was taken. I love the racing, but don't need the drama. I have enough at work. It's really too bad, as this class is a way to get younger people away from video games and out in the real world, since V-8 based classes are inevitably going to die.