Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota 8 Bolt Install Questions

Toyota 8 Bolt Install Questions

Hello,
    I am new to mod lites and bought a 2006 H&E with a 06 GSXR 1000 engine. This car appears to have had some shoddy work done installing the rear axle. The issue im running into is getting the rear axle square and mounted where it should without running out of threads on all the axle connector links. I need some pictures of toyota 8 bolts mounted in cars. Is there a kit that comes with all the brackets that are welded onto the axle to mount it to the trailing arms in a mod lite? What about the brake calipers and shocks? The axle currently has mounts for this stuff but they look very poorly built and welded and i believe everything will make more sense if i has the correct mounts. I will take some pictures of whats going on as soon as its a nice day and i can roll it out of the garage.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Toyota 8 Bolt Install Questions

Since no one seems to wants to try to give some help, here are my suggestions. First, make sure that chassis is "square" and side frame rails straight abd parrell. Then you can use them to :straight up the rearend housing. Next, position the house at the correct wheel base location. At that point, you now have to decide what brackets that you will be using and where they are or will be attached. With these establisted you now determin the lengths of the raduis arm lengths.
    Helpfull??? Well i tried!

Squaring The Chassis
    Squaring the chassis.
    By Tony Leary

This method is used when the car has been involved in contact and or there are no frame tabs to go by. If your car has tabs this will confirm if they are correct or not.
    Place car on level and squared scale ramps. Place two rims in front of the car, place a straight edge (6 foot level) across the rims. Measure from the straight edge (SE) to the lower control arm inner pivot bolt heads. Move straight edge until left and right measurements are equal.(parallel to the lower frame) Now measure from the straight edge to side of the lower control arm near the inner pivot. (Note this length) Now measure from the SE to the outer most points of the lower arm. If not equal loosen the jam nuts on the radius rod and twist the rod until all measurements are equal and lock down the jam nuts. Next do this for the other side. (You want all measurements to be the same so both arms are parallel)
    To Square the rear end to the front.
    Tools needed: (2) 2 inch “C” clamps, (2) ~ 4 inch x angle, (2) 6 inch string plum bobs, (2) ~ 3 inch lengths of duct tape, Measuring tape 10 foot min.
    Clamp angles to lower control arms inner bolts heads. (Heim Joints)
    Tape strings over axles tubes (behind) at outer ends ( Make sure they do not touch anything ) by lower rod ends.
    Tape hook end of tape measure to tape measure.
    Run a measurement to the strings Measure both inline and diagonals. NOTE: subtract .75 for bolt head to center of the heim (if using 1/2inch type), also subtract the axle tube diameter (check the diam on both sides stock Toyota tapers).
    Move hook to other side and repeat step 4.
    Adjust the rear heims as needed be sure to check the pinion angle.
    Note that if your lower control arms are parallel with the front frame rail the straight measurement made in step 4 is your wheelbase.
    Make sure to write all final measurements down! Bring everything listed in tools needed to the track. If you have contact run the measurement between rounds.

As for brackets for lowers shocks and brake calipers I've allways had the best luck with Dave Hawks units that bolt on the back side of the outer bearing cups.
    http://hawkmachine.com/t/spring-mounting-bracket

thanks for the replys, the brackets from hawk machine are just what im looking for. Im going to order them and see if that makes everything make more sense. Im really excited to get this car going again its just a lot to learn!
    I have another question about the rear axle. When i purchased the car, the rear axle was just thrown in quickly to make it roll onto a trailer. The 3rd link, is a solid rod with heim joints in both ends, the panhard bar, is some spring loaded thing with heim joints on both ends, AS IT WAS INSTALLED WHEN I GOT IT. Now what im wondering, is if these two were installed in the opposite place and the 3rd link is suppose to be the spring loaded bar and the panhard is suppose to be solid. Is this correct?

I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT IN THINKING THAT, THE BAR WITH SPRING IS THE 3rd LINK AND THE OTHER IS THE PANARD BAR.

So I looked at my axle tonight and I dont have flanges to mount the hawk machine bracket to my axle. My hubs are aluminum and appears to have been converted to full floating. Does this mean I'm back to building my own brackets?

They is company that makes brackets, that clamp around the axle tubes. I think it's called "dwarf car products" it's in northern california. There are probably others. We've always welded brackets on the tubes, for shock mounts, panard mount, caliber mounts, and radius mounts. After doing that we had the whole housing straighten. They worp from all the welded.

Not sure if Spence is still in business or not last i know he as were we all in a bad way trying to keep the doors open. How are your bearing hubs held to the housing? Is the housing steel? Yes you can weld on brackets BUT remember ANYTIME YOU WELD on a housing the tube will bend. You will need to straighten after any welding.
    It's not hard to do but takes some expensive tooling and best if you do it over a few days as it takes time to settle and creap.

Okay. This is turning into a big can of worms. I think it's clear these mounts won't hold up to the abuse, but I'd like your opinions. I have some pictures to post up as soon as I can get them uploaded to my computer. After I build new brackets and weld on I'll have to have the axle checked for straightness. The actual axles inside the tubes are removable with the wheels and hubs still on. It appears the rear hubs can be split to remove the nut holding the hub bearings on. The axle housing is steel.

I, for one, am not trying open a "can of worms" my only expeince with rearends, is we use "phil hayes floaters" and xince we build our own cars, i can't say how you should fit a unknown, manufactures rearend to a others chassis. I can only give general ideas. So, it's up to you how or what you do or use

I'm not unhappy with any advice you guys have given me, im happy someone will try and help. I'm just frustrated with myself that I overlooked this when purchasing the car, this isint what I was hoping to have to deal with on my first car but I guess there's only one way to learn haha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0211171931c.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	16075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0211171931.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	16074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0211171930.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	16073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0211171931a.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	16076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0211171931b.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	16077

Notice the brake lines? Yea that's how much the last guy new about mechanic work lol. I installed things how I figured they were suppose to be. Does the panharbar have to be running parallel with the axle in all directions? It has to reach foreward a bit to hit the frame mount. I'm getting close to a 73 inch wheel base but the rear still needs to go back about an inch and I'm out of threads on the trailing arms. When I build new mounts for the axle can I just add an inch and a half of length with the brackets?
    Last edited by Hedberg_Racing; 02-12-2017 at 10:50 AM.

You could fix those shock brakets with a gusset on both sides on the tubing.
    A&A sells brackets cheaper then I can make them...
    https://www.aa-mfg.com/tabs?utm_sour...m_medium=email

I just noted the lowers are infornt of the axle that makes for some strange handling at times but if its a dirt car they might have used it as an advantage but general school of thought is 2-4 inches behind the axle center line is best.

Welcome to used car ownership. You never stop second guessing what the PO was thinking... This is one of the reasons I loved Dwarf cars as it made me use my brain and learn, grow my knowleage.

If the front end is anything like the rear end. I would cut them both off and either get new clips or get a good book on susensions. It looks, to me, the car was owned by a "butcher"