Thread: What grade of oil...

What grade of oil...

This is NOT a question about which brand of oil everyone uses. But am wondering what grade oil people are using. Manufacture spec, heavier, lighter,...etc.

Re: What grade of oil...

My local dealership broke their ties with Suzuki so I got a smoking deal on some genuine Suzuki synthetic oil change kits. They are 10w40

For 22 years i used "neo" 40w straight. No engine, trans or clutch malfuntions at all. The manufacture told me if i didn't have anything come apart in the motor i could just add the "additives. And change the oil but once a year. And that is what i did.

I been running royal purple 10-40 max cycle 4 years now love it

Just be sure to understand the intended use of the synthetic oils. If you purchase a synthetic, be sure from the manufacturer it is intended for use in motorcycle engines. Remember, your clutch is a wet clutch running in your oil. For use motorcycle oils are made so they don't cause a glaze on the fiber plates and allow the clutch to slip. Bell Ray, Suzuki, Yamalube, and a host of others are specifically designed to not promote this problem. Amsoil is very poipular in our area but even they have a line of weights of oils just for motorcycle engine use.

As far as weights are concerned, in early spring in Ohio I have run 5w-30w and in the heat of August a 15w -50w. Keep in mind the lighter oil will flow quicker thru small oil holes and get to those troubled ares. Your overall oil pressure may be less but the lubrication factor will be as good or better than using a heavier weighted oil simply for the satisfaction of seeing a higher pressure on your gauge. As long as you know your motor and the normals that it displays for the conditions, you can rest easy that 10-15 lbs less pressure at an idle is still okay. Rev her up and the pressure will rise to the occasion.