Thread: Stock vs Spec

Stock vs Spec

Wondering the difference. Is a Spec worth the extra $$$?

Re: Stock vs Spec

With about a 5-10 % increase in power and an improved torque curve tailored for circle track use, the additional cost of $300-$400 over a standard rebuild offers excellent value.

And just what exactly is done for that "$300-$400"?

5-10% more work is done. The exact answer is in the rule book and my original explanation.

With the 5-10% is it still in "stock" specifications?

If I am understanding this correctly; What RKENGINES is talking about is spending "$300-$400" for blueprinting the engine. As opposed to just throwing the bare minimum at a rebuild. Some may choose to just hone the cylinders and throw some new rings in. Or perhaps even do the valves. Blueprinting an engine involves making sure that ALL parts of the engine are within stock specs. A bit of machine work can be involved; But does not change the engine from "stock specs". Will blueprinting an engine increase power and improve torque curve? Sure it will. It's done in all classes of racing. I think the big question that most should be looking at is, "Is it worth the extra money? And, does it fit within my budget?".

My 2 cents, for what you think its worth.

Steve

Thanks Steve its more clear to me now

Stock does not allow the use of slotted cam sprockets to ease adjustment of timing events, whereas Spec does.

I suppose this depends on what rules allow for engine mods. Some organizations allow slotted cam gears in an otherwise "stock" engine. Some organizations require a weight penalty for the use of such parts. Others do not allow any modifications what-so-ever from the engine "as manufactured". It depends on the organizations rules that one runs under.

bigk44,

I suggest you check your organizations rule book for what is allowed.
    Slotted cam gears cost around $100. If you install them yourself, you are labor costs ahead. As RKENGINES suggests, it does ease adjustment of timing events. This requires degreeing the cams for max performance.

Steve