Thread: Removable front clip???

Removable front clip???

Why are all of the chassis makers going to removable/replacable front clips? That just doesnt seem very safe to me. I understand its to make it easier when you tear up a front clip but it just doesnt seem very logical on the safe side of things.

Re: Removable front clip???

I agree with you.

When done right there should be no saftey issues at all. If bolts holding on your front clip scare you then you haven't looked at uni body frames in cars long enough.
    Heck most Dwarfs have all the supention bolts in single shear and hold up well.

And I bet if it sheared the front clip, it would be shedding a whole bunch of energy rather than transfering it to the rest of the cage.

When done right? Please explain what you mean by when done right? Cars are made 1 piece for strength. If they started making sprint car chassis with bolt on front clips people would go insane and raise hell. And yes it might shed some energy but when your front clip breaks loose it's just you in the main cage going by itself, with your feet at the edge of the front clip. Now I will say I haven't seen one of these removable front clip cars in person. It might change my mind when I see one, but for right now I'm just being logical.

look on the edge we site for the picture of the bolt on clip. not much is bolted n any way . I'm not sure if you are saving much. any damage behind the front cossmember and your back to sqaure one anyway

Rapid hit it on the head the Bolton section should not have the suspension bolted to it that should be part of the main chassis. You should really do some research on crush zones and energy absorption. Ar you bring up a good point sprint cars are some of the worst race chassis for safety as they have no crush zones. Big block mods went through a rough patch that had several fatal accidents due to head on collisions they found the answer to be building the cars with smaller light wall tubing up front to absorb impacts. The main chassis is built for strength not for safety but to keep it from flexing and letting the suspension do the work. You can build a car that 1x2 clear to the nose and use 1 1/4 .109 up front if you want but I'll stick to my bolt on with 1 in front bars