Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teching electronics

Re: Teching electronics

RK, you make a lot of good points, and we welcome your questions and advice. I definately don't know everything, just rely on info from others who are more experianced in dealing with these questions. Your coments have been constructive and thought proking, just the kind of dialog I was looking for with this post, thanks!

You guys all make good points, amd yes, to truly tech a motor, whether stock or spec, you would have to tear it down. We normally wouldn't go beyond pulling valve covers, clutch covers, oil pan, etc., but in the case of a major protest, the motor would be completely torn down. It hasn't happened yet, but there are provisions in our protest procedures that would lead to that. Hopefully we never have to do it, but we are capable, we have the place, tools, and people who are qualified to do it and do it right. Once again, thanks to everyone who has responded, we need your input. The issue of teching engines and boxes has been like the elephant in the middle of the room that no one wants to talk about.

We still don't know how to prepare for this possible inspection from these qualified people and tools? I believe my question was reasonable and meant to help myself and others understand what to expect during tech. Are inspections going be based on judgement or specifics?

This question is for all the groups that are using "stock engine" rules. Happy to hear from everyone on this

$3000 Cash buy out or protested car has option to take cash or protesting cars motor... Money is cause of your problem, can also solve it...don't have $3000 then don't complain about getting out ran

97 your right it is the elephant in the middle of the room, but its just too costly to tech around here. One club I helped organize and raced with all used the same motor and we put in place a ECU swap rule so anyone outside of the top 3 could claim the top three's ecu for the next race. This way if a back marker thought one of the top guys had a hop up box and he was up front the next week the group would know something's up with that ECU. To my knowledge it was never put to use. But with a normal club you couldn't do that unless your organization bought boxes for each motor run in the club which would also get expensive quickly as you never know unless it comes from a dealer that the ecu is unaltered.

Out hear in the northeast we race for crap $$ compared to the other parts of the country but we still have guys with more money then brains that come in thinking they can buy a championship. they normally don't last very long it just a matter of who they take out along the way. When we did have open motor rules I loved racing with theses 10k motors with my out of the junkyard motor with just a good tune up in it. I didn't win but I know I pissed them off any time I finished in front of them or just finished then they tossed a rod etc.
    I like stock motor rule but the ecu can't be tech'ed easily enough to bother so you either have to trust the other racers (as we do here..and I know some have cheated by there own admitting) or just open it up and watch to see if the motors pop...

RK, I don't understand what you're talking about. These aren't engines from independent engine builders we're talking about. These are stock, factory built Kawasakis, Suzukis, etc. I've never heard of a factory built engine that you couldn't get exact specs for every component used from the original manufacturer. Sure, some parts aren't exactly the same, but the manufacturer can give you specs that will tell you if they are in tolerance, and what the part was supposed to measure from the factory. I had a clutch problem with my '04 ZX10 a couple of weeks ago, and was able to mic the plates and springs to check for wear/damage using the specs found in the Kawasaki service manual. Are all the specs in there, no. But they are available.

44, we like the idea of the box claim, but it would have to be a permanent claim, maybe money and swap. I'm with you on beating the trick of the month guys with a trick-as-a-brick car! A long time ago I did that a lot, with a ten year old car, basic motor and good chassis set-up. We were still running real street tire back then, and that solved a lot of the high dollar/horse power problems. Wish we were still on street tires. Traction costs money, and I'm not talking about the cost of the tires. Once you give them traction, now they have a reason to spend lots of money hunting horse power.

Keplinger#28, the problems with motor claims are: 1. Most of the time they don't get used enough, due to not wanting to cause bad feelings, money, fear of retaliation, etc. : 2. The real high dollar guys see losing a motor to the claim the same as if the dropped a rod and blew it up. It's just gonna happen, so when it does they pull out another one and keep racing. The only guys really hurt by a motor claim are the low-buck guys who can't afford to go get another one. The swap helps, but I've seen very few racers actually use the claim in any class. for whatever reason. It's kinda like protests, everyone talks about ol' so-and-so and what a cheater he is, but they never file a protest.

I thinking everyone has beat this thing to death, time to put it to bed.

Check BORE, STROKE and COMPRESSION and get to racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCR Supporter

What cylinder will we be checking? I usually make number 1 my cheater.

MC you're probably right. As usual, the post has gone off on sevral tangents, and gotten completely away from the original purpose. No one is admitting to trying to tech ecu's or knowing anything about software to do so.

Brian, it looks like that's what we'll have to do until a better way to tech comes along.

Treyboy, we'll be checking #5!

Thank you, agreeing with Brian has cleared things up. What you describe is stock appearing or "spec" class NOT "stock" which as I have been trying to explain, creates more work than it is worth! Allow slotted cam sprockets and no brand will have an advantage also.
    You still seem to think that a magic program is out there that can somehow read all the MANY different software programs. This is not possible or neccesary as we have discussed.

Most ecu flashing bypasses all safety sensors. Change wiring harness with safety sensors installed. If engine starts the box has been reprogrammed. Not perfect but an idea

it will still start........bypassing them inthe ECU doesnt mean the engine wont start if they are still connected